Hurricanes and Floods—a local connection
September was a shocking month for weather
across our world.
Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and José plus flooding in Asia—all in one month.
But there has been Christian response to help the victims.
Harvey arrived first in Texas & 250 ‘rapid response’
chaplains were sent by the organisation Samaritan’s Purse to minister to the victims of the floods around Houston. The crisis-trained chaplains provided emotional & spiritual care to people reeling from fear & loss at some of the hardest-hit locations.
Details at: https://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/what-we-do/international-disaster-relief/
· Christian Aid
is bringing emergency relief to families in
India, Nepal and Bangladesh as more than a thousand
people have been killed and 40 million more affected by floods. Details at: https://www.christianaid.org.uk/emergencies/south-asia-floods-appeal
· And Ben Siddall (Tina’s son) is in the British Virgin Islands delivering aid with the Navy Marines. Please pray for Ben and his comrades.
Please bring your gifts for our
Communion on Sunday 15 October (10:15)
Tinned and dry goods will all be taken to Derby City Mission, who particularly need the following for their stocks.
· tinned vegetables; baked beans; spaghetti; tomatoes; red beans; potatoes; sandwich fillings
· tinned fruit
· tinned meat (mince meat; ham; corned beef; stewing steak; tinned chicken etc)
· Tinned tuna; salmon; sardines
· Rice; pasta
· pasta sauces; chilli sauce; chicken tonight
· Flour; cake; biscuits; cereals
· Margarine; butter; jam; marmalade; eggs
· Coffee; tea; UHT milk
· drinking chocolate (made with water)
Christian Aid Harvest prayer
The earth is fruitful
may we be generous.
The earth is fragile
may we be gentle.
The earth is fractured
may we be just.
harvest in us joy and generosity
as we together share in thanks and giving.