All Saints Church South Wingfield
Welcome to the Home Page for All Saints Church South Wingfield.
All Saints Church lies beside the River Amber between the villages of South Wingfield and Oakerthorpe. There has been a church on the site for over 1000 years and was probably, initially, a wooden building of Saxon origin. Historical records indicate that there was a stone built church here in 1269, and already dedicated to All Saints. About 1441 Ralph Lord Cromwell, Treasurer of the Exchequer under Henry VI, who had built the nearby Wingfield Manor, re-built the square tower and body of the church. Further re-building took place in the 19th Century on at least 3 occasions.
The font, the most ancient artefact in the church is of Norman origin, and lay for some years in the churchyard. The church has 3 upper clerestory stained glass windows by the celebrated artist John Hayward.
There is a good car park at the adjacent church hall, which also has a toilet. The church is equipped with a hearing loop and a loudspeaker system.
For more information regarding Service Times etc, please have a look at the 'Info' Page.
The Church is open Mondays and Fridays 9.45am- 3.30 pm when people can pray or just sit in quiet contemplation.